CATECHISM FOR CHILDREN & TEENS
Catechism in COTT is the faith formation programme for Catholic children and youth that aims to:
- Prepare them to be witnesses and disciples of Christ in proclaiming the Word of God
- Open the way for children and youth to experience the love of God by developing a therapeutic relationship between God and them through prayer and the Gospels; and to be a beacon of love to others;
- Provide a strong foundation in the knowledge of our faith; and
- Nurture them to become an independent, responsible, mature and God-fearing young adults.
“Go, therefore, make disciples of all the nations; baptise them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teach them to observe all the commands I gave you” (Mt 28:19-20)
Resumption of Catechism
Catechism for all levels will resume on Saturday, 30 June 2018 and Sunday, 1 Jul 2018.
Next Children’s Mass is on 7 & 8 July 2018
With effect from 3 & 4 March 2018, please be informed that the 4pm and 11am Mass on the first weekend of every month are designated as Children’s Mass.
We have made arrangements for your child/children who are attending Catechism session in COTT to attend the Children’s Mass with their Catechists. Your child/children will be seated with their Catechists at the Mass (except for days without catechism). If your child/children is unable to attend the Children’s Mass on the day of Catechism session, please make arrangements for your child/children to attend the Children’s Mass on the other day.
Payment of Catechism Fees
Catechism fee is $50 per child per year.
Payment Method :
- Cash; or
- payable to CHURCH OF THE TRANSFIGURATION
- To include on the reverse of the cheque:
- name of parent;
- contact number of parent;
- name of child;
- birth certificate number of child ;
- level that the child is in
Fees can be paid at the Catechetical Office (level 5, room 5.2). Please refer to the Catechetical Office’s operating hours below.
Dismissal from Catechism (Applicable only on days with catechism)
- For the safety of our children attending Catechism session, all Catechists will accompany the children into the Church Hall at the end of every Catechism session.
- Parent(s) are to pick up their child/children in the main Church Hall.
- Parent(s) may wait for their child/children in the Church Hall and attend mass thereafter.
- Parent(s) are encouraged to arrive early for guaranteed seating. Parent(s) may reserve the seats next to them for their child/children but any unoccupied seats will be released to the public 10 mins before mass commences.
- Parent(s) who are not attending mass shall pick up their child/children from the centre pew in the middle of the Church Hall. Please do so by 3.50pm on Saturdays and 10.20am on Sundays.
- If you are not attending mass, we would appreciate your cooperation to pick up your child/children punctually. Kindly note that the Catechists and/or the Church shall not be responsible for your child/children after they have been dismissed from Catechism sessions.
Please be reminded that all children and teens are required to attend mass every week. Failure to do so may result in the withdrawal of your child/children from our catechism programme.
|2.00pm – 3.30pm||K1, K2, L1, L2, L3, L4, L5, & L6|
|5.30pm – 7.00pm||Confirmation 1|
|9.00am – 10.30am||K1, K2, L1, L2, L3, L4, L5, & L6|
COTT is not conducting catechism for confirmation levels 2 – 4 (L8 – L10) in 2018.
|Term||Catechism Sessions||Catechism Session Breaks|
|1||20 January – 3 March (Sat)
21 January – 4 March (Sun)
*Chinese New Year
10 March – 18 March
|2||24 March – 19 May (Sat)
25 March – 20 May (Sun)
*Holy Saturday/Easter Sunday
26 May – 24 June
|3||30 June – 25 August (Sat)
1 July – 26 August (Sun)
1 September – 9 September
*Blood Donation Drive
|4||15 September – 10 November (Sat)
16 September – 11 November (Sun)
17 November – 31 December
First Sacrament of Reconciliation – For L2 Children Only
Date: 25 August 2018 (Saturday)
Time: 11.50am – 1.30pm
First Sacrament of Holy Communion – For L3 Children Only
Confession before Holy Communion (Compulsory)
Date: 29 September 2018 (Saturday)
Time: 11.50am – 1.30pm
Sacrament of First Holy Communion
Date: 7 October 2018 (Sunday)
Time: During 11am Mass
Stay-in Confirmation Camp – CON1 Only
Compulsory for all CON1 teens.
Period: 25 May 2018 (Friday), 7.45pm to 27 May 2018 (Sunday), 10am
Venue: Church of the Transfiguration
To register for catechism, please bring along hard copies of the following documents to the Parish Office:-
- original registration forms (duly completed and signed by all parent(s) and/or guardian(s));
- copies of parents’ I/C (both front and back);
- copies of children’s birth certificates;
- copies of children’s baptism certificates (if applicable); and
- Letter of Transfer from the respective parish if the child/children is/are transferring from another parish.
You may wish to type directly into this form before printing it.
Only duly completed registration forms with the above stated documents will be processed. We do not accept registration or the above stated documents via e-mail at this time.
Please note that there will be a 2 week processing time for registration forms received and applicants shall be notified via e-mail.
- Participate / be part of the catechetical programme;
- Ensure that their child/children attains at least 75% attendance;
- Ensure that their child/children attend mass regularly;
- Encourage child/children to go for regular confessions
We are looking for…
- Catechists / Catechist Assistants (with or without experience);
- Musicians to support our Catechetical Programme;
- Trained Professionals in handling children with special needs or Volunteers with experience in handling children with special needs; and
- Catechetical Administrators
Training will be provided for all Catechists joining COTT.
Interested? Please e-mail us at email@example.com
To contact us, please e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Catechetical Office (level 5, room 5.2) operating hours :
Saturday – 1.30pm to 3.30pm, 5.30pm to 7pm.
Sunday – 8.30am to 10.30am
Closed when catechism is not in session.